Kota Tua (Old Town) Ampenan - Cultural and Historical Tourism in Mataram, Lombok



Arisarmu - Lombok has more to offer not just stories of amazing white sand beaches and snorkel in turquoise sea water to see great underwater views. So if you are interested in cultural and historical tourism, Kota Tua Ampenan is the perfect place to feel the sensation of the Dutch colonial era in Lombok in the past through its old buildings and cultural mixture.



Ampenan, a district in Mataram, used to be the main town in Lombok island and it had a busy port to connect between Lombok island to Bali island before it moved to Lembar.

Nowadays, it is not surprising that we still find a Chinese village, an Arabian village, a Malay village, a Balinese village, a Javanese village, a Bugis village and a Banjar village in Ampenan and they live in harmony with each other.

I was so lucky that my last holiday I could stay most of my days in Kampung Nelayan Pondok Prasi (fisherman's village of Pondok Prasi) Ampenan at my younger brother in law's home who gets married to a Sasak woman, a native inhabitant in Lombok.

The diversity of culture and its harmony can be felt here as well. In this village, even though Sasak people are the majority, but there is an ethnic Chinese grave yard and a Balinese temple (Pura) within the village. Even during the severe earthquake which hit Lombok last year, this cemetery was used as an emergency place for sleeping at night.

When I arrived at Lombok International Airport, I took a shuttle bus service called Damri. This road transpotation only takes passengers from the airport to the main cities in Lombok, such as Mataram and Senggigi. I got off at Kebon Roek Ampenan. It's close to the gateway of Kota Tua (see picture above)
and sat near traffic lights and waited for Fajar, my younger brother in law, who would pick up me.


I had passed through the gateway of Kota Tua Ampenan many times until on my last day in this town I decided to entered it. My planned after I arrived in Ampenan, I would go to the farthest tourist destinations first then to the nearest one at the last. The old buildings are still exist although they look unmaintained. At that time most buildings were closed. So there was nothing I could do there.

Old buildings at Kota Tua Ampenan


A Chinese Temple at Kota Tua Ampenan

Then I headed to the old harbour. It was hot sunny day, I just saw few people, many warungs were still closed, perhaps just one or two were serving customers. I didn't really pay any attention at the moment. And I saw some empty wooden chairs and tables had been arranged by the beach. According to Minah, Fajar's wife, the locals usually go to Ampenan beach in the evening to have some grilled fish. It sounds nice to have tasty grilled fish while imagining Ampenan Port in the past.


This place used to be the major port in Lombok


Ampenan Beach


A small group of local tourists were having a nice time