Mawi Beach, A Stunning Hidden Beach in Lombok




Lombok is an island of wonder. Many equate it with its sister island of Bali. Here, travelers will be brought to explore among natural beauty of Gili Islands with their white sand beaches and turquoise sea water as well as an exotic local tradition with its tasty dishes. But honestly, among the magnificent tourist attractions I've ever visited, the hidden beach of Mawi impressed me a lot. It really takes my breath away.

As the location is remote even the inlet inadequate, therefore it is less touristy and surely it's appropriate for you who are seeking a lovely tranquil beach.

Mawi beach, located in Central Lombok Regency, is also known for a great little beach for surfing as it isn't too busy if it compares to its neighbour beach, Selong Belanak which is only 4.1 km away and it takes approximately one hour 12 minutes drives from Mataram.


The entrance fee is very cheap, just IDR 5K (USD 0.35). However, you have to drive a long way from the main road on a bumpy road. And as the road is absolutely awful, with a lot of small stones, therefore most visitors to the beach prefer riding motorbikes.

When I stopped to buy an entrance ticket, I met a small group of Moroccans riding motorcycles. I was behind them when one of them, a Moroccan girl fell off from her motorbike while riding down on the bad road. Fortunately, she was all right. And she could still enjoy her vacation.

a group of Moroccans


After seeing that incident at the worst part of the road, in a few minutes I was already riding my motorbike on the land surface or dirt road. It's dusty narrow unpaved road. And it was in the dry season, the barren land on the left side was grown by infertile banana trees that hadn't got sufficient water, while on the right side I saw a herd of cows and tens metres away from them was a buffalo herd were being grazed. It's a common view during my travel in Lombok island. As I though, assuredly there was still little grass left. The barren land was framed by green hills.

a herd of cows and buffaloes 


After riding along a bad road surface, I finally arrived at Mawi Beach. The deserted beach is less touristy because of the bumpy road but as soon as I got there, my struggle was realy paid off after seeing the breathtaking view of the beach.



It consists of two pale cream sand beaches and one of them is completely deserted that require you to hike up and down  a hill to get there where you will be on a serene beach which looks like a private beach. Both are also said as surfer's paradise beaches.


hiking up the hill

pepper-like sand beach


me on the hill - this photo was taken by a Chilean man (thanks)



After seeing fantastic landscapes from the top of the hill, then it's time for you to walk down the hill toward more hidden beach of Mawi where you will sink your feet while strolling along pepper-like sand beach. This sand is commonly found as part of decorating object alongside with seashells which are put in a table in  a guest room.

pepper-like sand beach

pepper-like sand

Few small warungs are on the beach selling a various kind of food and beverage, such as fried rice, noodle soup, fried noodle, chips, coffee, tea, pineapple juice, soft drinks, even cold beer and many more.

The price list for coconut water was IDR 15K (USD 1.05) and noodle soup was IDR 25K (USD 1.70). The noodle soup was actually boiled instant noodle with an egg, sliced carrot, sliced spring onion, and sprinkled with fried shallot and I think it's yummy. Fortunately, the owner of warung was very kind to me. As a local tourist I just paid IDR 20K (USD 1.40) for both coconut water and noodle soup. The price list was only for foreign tourists.


coconut water and noodle soup



However, I was upset with the conditional of the rest rooms. Even a Chilean man whom I met while I was walking toward a toilet said to me, "The toilets were disgusting!!" So my suggestion, the locals who manage Mawi beach must pay attention  about this issue otherwise tourists won't come here and you will lose your income.

Although I headed to Mawi beach only by myself, but for your safety you should go there in a group of people (more than four) as there is no mobile phone signal in that area and you should drive faster while passing a quiet place. (arisarmu.blogspot.com)