Tasty Rabbit Satay and Spicy "Pecel" at Sukuh Temple


Having tasty rabbit satay and spicy "pecel" while viewing Sukuh temple from distance was part of my memorable trip to this exotic Hindu temple last month.

After exploring Cetho Temple, I decided to visit Sukuh Temple, just 11 kilometers away, passing amazing Kemuning Hill with its lovely tea plantations, offer visitors with fresh cool weather and exciting tea plantation trekking adventure. I only said to myself that I had to go there someday. 
The short journey from Cetho Temple to Sukuh Temple was really wonderful, although during rainy season, luckily it hadn't rained yet, the grey cloud blocked my sight to awesome mount Lawu, but it wasn't spoilt my trip, I still enjoyed it.

In a few minutes, I finally arrived at Sukuh Temple, not many visitors there at the moment, it less popular if compared to Cetho Temple. Both Hindu temples, which nestled on the slope of mount Lawu, are main tourist attractions in Karanganyar Regency, Central Java, Indonesia.
Sukuh Temple has simple relief panels if compared to other temples in Central Java and Yogyakarta Special Region. See my previous blog posts below: 

Read more:

Sukuh Temple which is at the elevation of 910 meters above the sea level was built in the 15th century. This Javanese-Hindu temple has a main monument of pyramid structure. The three levels of terraces in the complex with reliefs and statues symbolize the three stages of human's journey before entering a nirvana, including an erotic statue and relief panels symbolize of human life in the earth.

"Sate Kelinci" (Rabbit Satay) is a renowned local dish from regions around mount Lawu, so after exploring Sukuh Temple, I dropped in at a "warung" (food stall) next to the parking area to order a portion of "Sate Kelinci" which served in thick peanut and soy sauce dressing, with "lontong" (rice cake), sliced shallots and chilis.  The taste was almost similar to chicken satay, but it's a bit harder. Then, for accompanying the main course, I also ordered "pecel", an Indonesian salad which consisted of boiled or blanched spinach, string beans and bean sprouts with sweet and spicy peanut sauce. Both were so yummmmmy. And  a glass of instant coffee with milk. Oh..I almost forgot that I also ate two pieces of "mendoan" (fritters of coated soy bean cake in seasoned flour), but they weren't special. The total cost was around IDR 25k (USD 1.85). 



While I was having my late lunch, it was around 02.40 pm, it was raining hard. Luckily, it didn't disturb my delicious meals and I could still see a bit of fantastic Sukuh temple.