"Pecel Mbok Kami": A Traditional Indonesian dish in Ambarawa

Initially there was no intention to have "pecel" at "Warung Pecel Mbok Kami", despite I hadn't eaten it there, and hoped someday I would have it. I still remembered, a friend of mine ever told about the delicacy of the "pecel", it's an Indonesian dish of boiled or steamed some vegetables with sweet and spicy peanut dressing. Still my main purpose just to practice video-making with "Gua Maria" Kerep and then "Palagan Ambarawa Monument" as the objects.



On the previous night, actually I was still unsure whether I would go to Ambarawa or Selo, Boyolali Regency or might head to somewhere else. In the reality, I had been to both "Monumen Palagan Ambarawa" (Palagan Ambarawa Monument) and "Gua Maria" (Maria Cave) Kerep, but I hadn't been to Selo (while I was writing this story, I had already visited Selo). It didn't matter, the same situation has often happened, and I said to myself that tomorrow morning I believed I wouldn't hesitate to make a decision, just followed my intuition.

The following day, on thursday morning, after having a good sleep, I finally decided to set out to Ambarawa where "Gua Maria" as the first destination while "Monumen Palagan Ambarawa" thereafter. Yet, my mind wasn't thinking of stopping in at "Warung Pecel mbok Kami". Then I left home when the clock pointed at 09.30 am. It would be enough time for me. As the spots wasn't far from Salatiga, a lovely town where I live, and I predicted that would have arrived home around 01.30 pm then had a bath before giving tutorials to kids who would start from 02.00 pm, "I convinced myself".

There are two main roads that lead to Ambarawa; First route: Salatiga - Muncul - Banyubiru - Ambarawa. Second route: Salatiga - Tuntang - Bawen - Ambarawa.
I chose the first one, although it's considered a bit slower as many bend roads and the roads aren't as big as the second route, but I like the scenery which pass through Lake Rawa Pening and surely less polluted for it isn't big busses route.

I had been riding my motorcycle for almost 45 minutes (in an average speed) when I finally arrived in Ambarawa, and suddenly I changed my mind as soon as I saw "Monumen Palagan Ambarawa" (Palagan Ambarawa Monument) from Jalan Pemuda. The monument is on Jalan Semarang - Yogyakarta (or Jalan Semarang-Magelang).

Palagan Ambarawa Monument

I finally decided to drop in as my first destination to practice video-making for I had written in my blog about this monument before. 
After buying the entry ticket and parking for IDR 7k (USD 0.50), I entered the location. I was the only visitor at that time, it's no wonder, on weekdays. The monument has a function to commemorate the struggle of Indonesian Army to expel the invaders out from Ambarawa occured from december 12 to december 15, 1945 killed Leutnan Colonel Isdiman whose name is now become the name of a museum which located only a few meters from the entrance door.
visiting a museum of national struggle sometimes is necessary for me to be more respect to our national heroes who passed away in battle-fields.

Next, heading to "Gua Maria" (Maria Cave)  Kerep.

"Gua Maria" is merely 1.1 km from "Monumen Palagan Ambarawa". If you are from the monument, go toward Ambarawa Bus Station, then near it there is a T-junction, turn right into it, on Jalan Gua Maria (Jalan Tentara Pelajar). The legendary stall (warung) "Pecel mbok Kami" is on the corner of the street.
Actually, the food stall is very close to the monument (around 200 m), but at that time I hadn't thought to have lunch there. My focused just arrive at "Gua Maria" as soon as possible. 
If you haven't been there before, simply follow the road signs, you won't get lost.

Located on the foot of mount Ungaran, with beautiful views of tropical gardens and a nice arranged of a wide grass land with cozy, quiet and peaceful environment makes this place becomes so popular among pilgrimages especially Catholics or even other people who just come as tourists and want to enjoy the beauty of this spot.

Gua Maria (Maria Cave) Kerep - Ambarawa



On the way home, it was around 12.30 pm, it was lunch time. plenty of time for me before giving a tutorial at 02.00 pm. I parked my motorcycle next to the "warung" (food stall). Welcomed by a friendly parking attendant. He looked patient and reliable in managing a small parking area in a small street. I really appreciated him. You know that this "warung" is usually very busy to serve customers who feel hungry after or before visiting "Gua Maria" and travelers who are passing through Ambarawa. I was lucky when I came, it "wasn't busy", it meant there was still one stool empty for me. The others were full. wow!!


Actually, it is a simple "warung" (stall), a semi-permanent building looks so homely, however, this simplicity combined with the delicacy of the food, their hospitality and surely its strategic location makes this "warung" become popular among customers from a various of social class, not only those who come on foot and by motorcycles but also by cars. 
Here in Indonesia, it's so simple to recognize a good eatery. So, I remember someone, his name's Andy, a young travel enthusiast and mountain climber. He ever told me that anytime he is traveling, he always choose a busy food stall, it means that eatery must sell either delicious dishes or cheap price. So sure, I really agree with him.
According to some sources, the owner of "Pecel mbok Kami" is the second generation and the consistency to maintain the delicious taste is the strength. That's why she has many loyal customers. 


Her small "warung" furnished with simple wooden tables and chairs and some plastic stools. It opens daily from 06.30 am to 03.00 pm. On peak hours, often the customers don't get any empty seats, so they usually sit in their cars or even stood. "pecel" is basically has similar ingredients from one seller to the others (see: Nasi Pecel Pincuk Nanggulan-Salatiga and Enjoy Pecel Kecombrang and Mendoan after exploring Telaga Sunyi, Baturraden-Purwokerto). Commonly boiled or steamed vegetables in "pecel" are spinach, string beans and bean sprouts. At "Pecel mbok Kami", added with noodles, sliced tofu, crushed "kerupuk" (Indonesian crackers) and then sweet peanut dressing pour on the top. For me, it's tasty, but for others, they may think that Javanese food is a bit too sweet.

Many options of side dishes or fritters are available on tables that will be perfect to be added which you can choose, such as intestine satay, scallop satay, egg satay, corn fritters and many more.

I added two skewers of scallop satay and a glass of unsweetened tea for IDR 15k (USD 1.10).


It started raining while I was having "pecel", and fortunately the rain didn't last long and it had stopped when I finished having my delicious lunch and went home to continue my next activities.