"Curug Belondo" - an abandoned tourist attraction in Tengaran


Strolling to a lovely waterfall of time past, a place that was once ever became a pride of local people in Regunung village that could attract many travellers to visit it. Now it seems its glory has already vanished.

My visit to "Curug Belondo" (Belondo waterfall) was merely to wreak my curiosity after I accidentally found it in someone's blog. It is located in Regunung village, district of Tengaran which means the place is near from "Klero Temple". They both are in the same district.

As a navigation aid, anytime I'm heading to any tourist attractions which I've never been there before, I usually depend on google maps and sometimes ask someone on the way if I'm still unsure. And since the distance from Salatiga to "Curug Belondo" is only 12 km, so on saturday I decided to go there. I was a bit shocked when google maps told me that I had already arrived in the location and just needed a little walk toward the waterfall.
You know, in fact, I was in front of a graveyard!!
So I asked someone whom I met about the direction. He said that the location was only 200 m away. I was really glad to hear it.

When I finally arrived there, the ticket counter was empty. I didn't see the officer. So I kept riding my motorcycle on a small concrete road which is just fit for one car. Furthermore the road is very dangerous, because of the steep road at the end. Then, after parking my motorcycle, I continued walking toward Belondo waterfall for approximately 500 m, cut across paddy fields and walked along  a river bank and crossed a broken bamboo bridge until I finally got there. And Curug Belondo is a short waterfall. It's less than 15 m in height.

Knowing that I was the only visitor, although it was saturday when usually a tourist attraction is busy with visitors. I thought there must have been something wrong, until I met a-58 years old farmer, Darto. And from his story I can make a conclusion that what is offered by Curug Belondo is under visitors expectation. Sadly, its popularity which could attract many visitors was only a past history, including Darto's dream to build a fishing pond would also vanish.