Pantai Glagah Kulon Progo - the most famous beach with its beautiful lagoon


There are countless number of beaches to be explored in Yogyakarta Special Region. One of them is Glagah beach (Pantai Glagah), renowned for its wave breakers and a beautiful lagoon, is arguably the most stunning beach in Kulon Progo Regency.

The beach which is managed by the district goverment of Kulon Progo is always crowded by visitors who want to see a shiny black beach and a ferocious southern sea and have selfies at tetrapods (wave breakers) besides enjoying the delicacy of seafood after exploring the tranquil lagoon by boat, especially during holiday and weekends, or merely spend most of their time by fishing at the bank of the lagoon.

Venture further east from Congot beach, I finally arrived in the area of Glagah beach where I hadn't been here before. I stopped at a spot where there was a hostelry with Glagah beach as its name. In my hesitation, I asked to a local who had just parked his motorcycle. He assured me that I was already in Glagah beach. But I thought, why was the place was so quiet, I saw only several local tourists. It really didn't represent a famous beach at a weekend. Knowing that I was in doubt, he a bit laughed at me and said that right there was only a wave breaker. I realized that he wanted more tourists came here although nothing I could do except viewing a beach. Anyway, I thanked him and continued driving my motorcycle toward the main beach.

After a few minutes driving, I saw a crowd of vehicles, although not too many. It might be here, the main gate of Glagah beach that I had been looking for. So I turned right and parked my motor cycle. And when I asked to a parking attendant. He said that it was a small lake (Glagah's Lagoon). Yet, it wasn't the place I had planned to visit. However the place was so beautiful, so I decided to spend my short times here. It's a place suitable for those who like fishing and there are some food stalls where some customers can have their food on the bank of the lagoon under shady trees. And some boats are available to be rented.



 In my third effort, I wasn't wrong again. I finally entered the main gate of Glagah beach. It was very crowded with local tourists. Here visitors can experience a various local dishes, including seafood.
I really enjoyed my time exploring its lagoon by boat. The fare is IDR 5k (USD 0.40) per person, but you have to wait until the boat is full with approximately 15 passengers, or you pay for IDR 80k (USD 5.80) per boat, then you can straight away explore the beautiful lagoon. After that you may walk toward a shiny black beach.


At the moment, I saw some people cheerfully playing with the sea water even though they got wet and others had selfies among tetrapods (wave breakers). It was so hot, I felt so thirty, luckily a fresh young coconut added little palm sugar, which cost IDR 10k (USD 0.80) was not only made my body cool and fresh but also made my time in Glagah beach became so memorable.