Tasty Fried Duck - Bebek Goreng H Slamet Kartosuro


Fried duck from meat which has been simmered with some condiments for four hours then served with awesome "sambal korek" and some vegetables it's really a mouth-watering dish that will make everyone comeback again and again.

Kartosuro, a home of famous fried duck, is a district in Sukoharjo Regency, Central Java. It is only 10 km from Surakarta (Solo). And for most people in Java, especially for those who love culinary tourism and adore duck meat, the name of Kartosuro is even more popular than Sukoharjo as it has a famed fried duck dish, "Bebek goreng H Slamet".

One day, after traveling to Surakarta and on my way home to Salatiga, I wasn't actually looking for somewhere to eat because I had already had lunch, although it wasn't special dish, but at least it could protect my stomach from feeling hungry until I accidentally stumbled upon a restaurant from which I couldn't refuse to have my second lunch. The name of "Bebek Goreng" (fried duck) suddenly evoked my appetite. My memory flashed me back to the time when I first had fried duck in Kartosuro, we had just been to Tawangmangu and stopped by at a street vendor to have tasty fried duck for our dinner.

Some people may feel reluctant to have fried duck or never imagine it on their dinning tables, because they think duck tastes bad. however, duck is like other meat. it can taste delicious when properly prepared, or it can taste terrible when poorly prepared.

"Bebek Goreng" H Slamet Kartosuro has many branches in some cities. The restaurant which is on 136 Ahmad Yani Street, Kartosuro, Sukoharjo Regency opens daily from 09.30 am to 08.30 pm. I entered this restaurant, on a bustling highway, around 3 pm. It wasn't busy at the moment. I chose to sit on a chair instead of "lesehan" (sitting on the floor while enjoying some drink or meal) and ordered breast meat and a glass of hot orange was at IDR 32k (USD 2.35).

"Bebek Goreng" and "Sambal Korek"

A well-seasoned duck that's delicious and crispy served with a plate of rice, sliced cucumbers, sliced cabbage, boiled cassava leaves and "sambal korek", chili paste which is made from chillies, salt, garlic and leftover frying oil. It was my memorable meal.

Read more: