Maha Vihara Mojopahit Trowulan - my gift from Mojokerto


Arisarmu - A visit to a reclining Buddha statue in Trowulan is a great experience for travelers who spend their vacation in Mojokerto, so you should't overlook the opportunity when you are already in Mojokerto.

It took me around 7.5 hours by bus, including when I had to change the bus at Tirtonadi Bus Station Surakarta and then rested to have brunch at Duta Restaurant In Ngawi.
Surely I didn't want to miss an opportunity to visit the reclining Buddha statue or the locals commonly say as "Patung Budha Tidur" (sleeping Budha statue).

Since the bus didn't enter into Mojokerto Bus Station and  I had been suggested to get off opposite the bus station by my wife. Then my brother in law, a soldier, who had just moved to this town picked me up. It was nice to see and stay in his new house and met his family.

I stayed there just one night because the following morning I would fly to Lombok island. I thanked to God that my little time still could be used to visit the exotic and famous reclining Buddha statue.


It is said that Trowulan used to be the central government of famous Majapahit kingdom. The evidence of it can still be seen from the existance of several temples within Mojokerto Regency, such as Tikus Temple, Brahu Temple, Bajang Ratu Temple, and Trowulan museum, and gateways that resemble Royal-style buildings.

A gateway of a mosque

Someone's home near Maha Vihara Mojopahit.


The reclining Buddha Statue which has a length of 22 meters, a width of 6 meters, and a height of 4.5 meters was constructed between 1992 to 1993 and has been opened for public since 2012. The Vihara itself was built in 1989 and it still has a function as worship place for Buddists 

Maha Vihara Mojopahit covers the total area of 6 hectares, consists of a reclining Buddha statue surrounded by a pool, a lotus pool, a dormitory, worship buildings, many statues and others.
The beauty of the statue, which is the biggest in Indonesia, was really satisfying my short trip in Mojokerto.









Maha Vihara "Mojopahit"


Location

Trowulan, Mojokerto Regency, East Java, Indonesia

Opening Times

Daily         07.30 am - 05.00 pm

Admission

Adult       IDR 3k (USD 0.25)
Child       IDR 2k (USD 0.15)