Spicy Nasi Puyung - Lombok : Dare to try?


If you really like spicy food you should try Nasi Puyung while exploring Lombok, as it will make your vacation more memorable.

Lombok remains top destination alongside Bali for both Indonesian travelers and especially foreign travelers who search for beach holiday. They commonly spend their money on food during their trips. So food tourism is also an important part to boost the popularity of a region. When tourists have some food at a destination, there will be an interaction with the hosts and experience the local culture as well, not only satisfy their hunger.

Lombok island, renowned as a sister of Bali, is located in the east of Bali island offers travelers a various of tasty local dishes.

To pass the time during my flight from Surabaya to Lombok island by Citylink, I grabbed Linkers, an inflight magazine. Then I read some articles including about food. I was lucky that it contained an article reviewing delicious dishes from Lombok, such as Nasi Puyung, Sate Rembiga, Ayam Taliwang with Plecing Kangkung, Sate Bulayak and Sate Ikan Tanjung.
Hopefully I could try all of them,"I said to myself".


One fine afternoon, while I was riding a motorbike on Jalan Raya Senggigi wishing to see sunset on Senggigi beach until I stumbled at a regional food stall selling Nasi Puyung, Bebalung and other local dishes. And without hesitation I ordered Nasi Puyung and a bottled of cold fruit-flavoured tea, and I thought I could order Nasi Bebalung on the following day, despite the fact I didn't return to the same stall until I backed home to my home town in Central Java, instead I Had Nasi Bebalung at a different food stall.

Nasi Puyung is a traditional food originating from Puyung Village in Central Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. The popularity of the dish makes it easier to be found in other regions within Lombok island, including at a simple stall belongs to Ibu Nur (Mrs Nur).
From 07.00 am to 09.00 pm every single day, she sells local food at her rented stall on Jalan Raya Senggigi. She used to be a tour guide who worked at a travel agent for 3 years, she also loves cooking and then it becomes her current job. Now she employs four employees to help her running her business.

In my opinion, her Nasi Puyung, which consists of rice, spicy chicken, Srundeng (sauteed grated coconut), fried soybean, fried egg, and Bakwan Jagung (Corn Fritter), is delicious.
In the beginning, when I ate the chicken, it wasn't too hot, but it soon became more spicy in my mouth.
The combination of all side dishes especially the spicy chicken make the dish so perfect until I got sweat.





Nasi Puyung Ibu Nur


Location

Jalan Raya Senggigi, West Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia.

Opening hours

Daily          07.00 am -  09.00 pm.

Price per Portion

Nasi Puyung        IDR 15k  (USD 1.05)