My Exciting Trip to Gili Sudak, Lombok


Arisarmu - While most visitors to Lombok focus on the three well known Gili islands which are located in the northwest of Lombok; Gili Trawangan, Gili Air and Gili Meno. However, my first trip to Gili islands started from the southwest of Lombok where I was really amazed with Gili Sudak, Gili Nanggu and Gili Kedis. In Sasak  language, gili means small island. In this blog post I'd like to share my experience when I visited Gili Sudak while the others I'll write them on the next blog post.


When I was still in Lombok, my sister in law, Wulan, sent a text message through whatsApp that she'd seen someone's instagram about Gili Kedis and then she suggested me to visit it. So I searched its location from google map and decided to go there in the following day. Yet I still didn't know that there were two beautiful Gilis nearby.

Since I arrived in Lombok, Wulan lent her new matic motorcycle to me with its engine capacity is 150 cc. So I could explore Lombok fast and comfortably. And also to my brother in law Fajar and his family who warmly welcomed when I stayed in their home during those amazing times. Thanks a lot I always say to you all. And hope oneday I can visit you on this lovely island with my beloved wife and sons.

Yet I hadn't been familiar with the route but I didn't want to depend on google map completely, because sometimes it's inaccurate or there is no good signal so from Ampenan my first plant merely head to Lembar harbour. Using the method I thought it was easier and faster for me as the Gilis wouldn't be far from it and I could ask the direction to someone.

Approaching the Gili, the landscape was amazing. I was riding along a winding road where I saw sea water on the right side. It's still natural and the air was fresh. I saw some vehicles were being parked while the passengers might had crossed to those Gilis and enjoying their times.


After a bit lost and doubted where to stop at the right jetty and almost be gullible by a local man who would charge me a very high price to cross to Gilis but I refused it. Until I finally found the right jetty whose boat owner, Muksin who had three boats and a speed boat with six employees rented a private boat for IDR 250K (USD 17.40))  for boating to three Gilis; Gili Nanggu, Gili Sudak and Gili Kedis and a boatman would take me there and wait for me. However the rent was IDR 150K (USD 10.40) if I just visited one Gili. 


My first destination was to Gili Sudak. At the moment I was in the same boat with a small group of young men until we separated on the Gili. One of them helped me to take a photo of mine in the boat. Thanks to him.


Hendi was the boatman, he waited for me on the beach as long as I wanted. Nevertheless, as I came to the Gili was already noon, so I didn't want to waste most of my time just stayed in one Gili. There I saw some foreign tourists having lunch on the beach. I don't know surely how many cottages on the Gili. But I got an information from someone that the room rate was IDR 350K (USD 24.39) /night. Here you will relish a serene holiday and snorkel in the clear turquoise water or just do sunbathing.



My next blog post: Heading to Gili Nanggu.