You Should Taste Siomay with Bitter Melon. Mmm Yummy


Eating street food is practically a way of life as it is cheaper and sometimes more delicious than at a restaurant.  Moreover the vendors are quick in serving. One of the most popular among Indonesians is Siomay.

According to Wikipedia, Siomay or Somay is originated from Chinese Shumai. It is steamed fish dumpling with steamed tofu, cabbages, potatoes and boiled egg (depend on the request). This cuisine is easily found in street-side food stalls, traveling carts and at some restaurants.

Siomay is one of my favorite food. I have eaten this light meal since I was a child. Its taste is nice with a great collaboration of all ingredients. As siomay is steamed food, so it isn't oily and doesn't make discomfort in my stomach.

Both Siomay and Batagor (fried meatball and tofu) are served with peanut sauce and usually sold at the same vendors. It offers costumers with two options. For myself, I prefer Siomay to Batagor, even though I will not refuse if you treat me a portion of Batagor hehehe.

Read also: Sweet and Savory Snacks. Most Indonesians Loved Them

The urban development in our region, impact with more population and new housings. As a result, some new food sellers have opened their business near our home, including street-side Siomay and Batagor seller. Its location is only a few meters from our home.

One day, my wife bought me a portion of Siomay without egg. It's IDR 5.000 (USD 0.35). I think it tastes more yummy because of additional 'pare' (bitter melon) in it. (arisarmu.blogspot.com)