Pasar Tiban JLS Salatiga: A favourite place for the locals




The existence of "Pasar Tiban" in Salatiga attracts the locals who love sightseeing or having culinary tourism. So, no wonder that they crowd this market every sunday morning.

"Pasar Tiban" means "impromptu market" which usually operates once a week and commonly on sundays. There are many merchants who sell various things from food, beverage, snacks, fruits, vegetables, toys, outfits, flowering plants and many more in one locality, such as along a street or an alley, and the price are usually cheap or reasonable. So, it will attract the locals to come.

Pasar Tiban which is stretched up to 1 km length on JLS (the southern ring road) is considered as a unique and interesting market as it offers not only daily needs but also to satisfy the locals with many options of delicious local foods.

Last sunday I got up at 4 in the morning and around 5 I headed to Pasar Tiban. When I arrived there, perhaps at 05.10. Still few merchants preparing their goods to be sold. I realized that I had come too early. Fortunately, there were vast rice fields next to the market. Then I decided to explore them. I strolled along a small walkway in the middle of the rice fields while enjoying the beautiful morning view. And around 6 am I walked back to Pasar Tiban.



After walking around Pasar Tiban twice and took some interesting photos. Finally, I stopped at "Bubur Ayam" (chicken porridge) stall for having breakfast. It's one of Indonesian breakfast dishes for IDR 7k (around USD 0.55) per portion.
The main ingredients of Bubur Ayam are:
Rice congee, boiled egg, shredded chicken meat, kerupuk (Indonesian style crackers), fried peanuts, fried shallot, yellow chicken broth, and other condiments.
To enhance the flavour, I added soy sauce and "sambal" (chili paste) into it...Mmm...yummmy!!
For beverage, I moved to other merchant who sold "Es Dawet" (iced sweet dessert with contains jelly) for IDR 3k (around USD 0.25), but unfortunately it was tasteless.

My suggestion, if you wish to visit Pasar Tiban, at 06.00 am is the best time as it isn't crowded yet and the street isn't too busy as well. More visitors will come around 06.45 am.


Bubur Ayam 


Pasar Tiban Salatiga

Location

On JLS (the southern ring road) Salatiga, Central Java, Indonesia

Opening Hours

Only on Sundays            05.30 am - 10.30 am