Gereja Ayam ( Chicken Church) - A Giant Chicken Building for a Prayer House


Located on "Bukit Rhema" (Rhema hill), "Gereja Ayam" was built by Daniel Alamsyah in 1992 as a worship place for any religions after having a vision from God.

If you intend to go to "Gereja Ayam". From Salaman - Borobudur Rd, there is a gateway next to chicken noodle and meatball stall. Enter and follow the road for about 1km.


Then you have to park your vehicle in a parking lot managed by the locals. From here you can start walking up approximately 300 meters to the top of Rhema hill. It's a good cardiovascular exercise, or you can take a jeep instead. The jeep fare is IDR 7k (USD 0.50), but I don't know how much the jeep fare for a foreign tourist is. Usually, it will be more expensive. I myself took a walk and the ascending road to the location really made my heart beat faster. And I thought it was good for me cause my only physical exercise is when I sweep and mop our house floor and when I go blogging.

I was so amazed to see the 15 meters tall building. It truly resembles of a giant hen and dove.
You may have ever seen "Gereja Ayam", which has ever been abandoned due to the high construction cost and disagreement among local people, from social media. And I guess you may have the same feeling with me.



Just after entering the building, I was hospitably welcomed  by two women who then immediately asked me to show them my entry ticket and told me that the ticket could be exchanged with a local snack (fried cassava). And one of them seemed eager to correct a false assumption that broadly spread in the social media and internet. The building is actually resemble of a dove (not a chicken)  which symbolizes a peaceful. In addition, it is not a church but a prayer house for any religions.
Anyway, the beauty and uniqueness of "Gereja Ayam" are the reasons for many curious local and foreign tourists to come here.




Gereja Ayam ( Chicken Church) 


Location

Rhema Hill, Gombong Hamlet, Kembanglimus Village, Magelang. Central Java, Indonesia.

Opening hours

Daily        06.00 am - 05.00 pm

Entrance fee

Local tourist       IDR 15k  (USD 1.10)
Foreign tourist   IDR 30k  (USD 2.20)

Free snack Latela Gombong Cassava at Kedai Rakyat Bukit Rhema.